The whole of mainland Scotland was moved to Level 4 (Lockdown) on the 26th December 2020.
This closed all climbing walls.
At the end of December the reopening was forecast for the 18th Jan.
On Tuesday 19th Jan it was confirmed by the Scottish government that the lockdown would remain until at least Mid February.
Hopefully we will get some notice before the lockdown is relaxed; allowing us to work towards reopening the centre.
We opened on Monday 31st Aug we are open for:
- Experienced climbers & boulderers
- Junior members 14yrs+
- Novices who are supervised by a competent climber / boulderer
on a BOOKING ONLY basis – from the website. .
Monday to Friday
4 sessions available 2&1/4 hrs long
11am – 1.15pm, 1.45pm – 4pm, 4.30pm – 6.45pm, 7.15pm – 9.30pm
Saturday & Sunday
3 sessions available 2&1/2hrs long
10am – 12.30pm, 1pm – 3.30pm, 4pm – 6.30pm
Though multiple sessions are bookable please be considerate to other users and certainly only book sessions that you will attend. If you need to cancel then please do so asap so that other customers can use the space.
Sessions will be bookable up to 2 weeks ahead.
Please pre-pay if possible, single use Punch Cards are available for sale.
The centre will be operating on a Card Payment Only basis.
Please bear with us during this stage 1 of opening.
Sessions not currently available are; KIDS CLUB / COACHING / COURSES
During this initial stage of opening we will not be offering instructor led sessions. These will be introduced as soon as we feel safe to do so.
We will advertise these as soon as we have dates.
We are striving to keep everyone safe.
- Centre doors will be closed between sessions for cleaning
- Please arrive for your session on time, (session times are fixed).
- There will be a queuing system with markings on the ground, you may have to queue outside so wear appropriate clothing.
- Sanitise your hands on entry
- Arrive climb ready, to avoid using the changing rooms where possible
- Have your details ready so we can sign you in promptly and contactless card for payment if required.
- Remember – you may not have climbed for some time so take it easy, don’t rush in, warm up, and enjoy yourself.
WHILST USING THE CENTRE
- Social distancing still applies, only stand closer to those from the same household.
- Always wash your hands with soap and water or the hand sanitiser provided.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Wear a mask in all areas unless climbing, we encourage you to wear a mask during climbing if possible.
- Training areas – wipes are supplied please wipe down equipment before and after use.
- Take it easy, we are all keen to get back to climbing but if its your first time for a while, warm up and take it slow.
- Please be patient with staff as they are trying their best to work with the new systems in place.
WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO
- If you or anyone you have been in contact with has reason to believe they may have coronavirus you must not come to the centre, and must self isolate.
- If you are feeling unwell with any of the symptoms of coronavirus you must not come to the centre and should self isolate.
- Accept that by using the centre your details may be used for track and trace.
- Accept that we cannot keep the centre 100% free of coronavirus and that there is still risk.
- Respect other people and understand that they may have a different level of anxiety regarding coronavirus.
- Leave promptly at the end of a session to allow staff cleaning time.
- When is Avertical World reopening?
We are delighted that we opened on the 31st of August. Currently we will only be open for experienced climbers and novices supervised by experienced climbers.
• Are your opening times the same?
Our opening times remain unchanged.
• Do I need to wear a mask?
We ask that all customers please wear a mask when entering the building, in reception, toilets, and whilst using common areas around the centre. You do not have to wear a mask while climbing if you choose not to, however we do encourage the use of masks at all times.
• Is social distancing still in place?
Yes you will still be required to social distance in the way you have been doing so elsewhere. This includes at the entrance and throughout the centre. We have limited the numbers so that everyone feels comfortable and can socially distance as required.
• Are you cleaning more regularly?
Yes we have a cleaning system that will cover all frequently touched surfaces.
We are closed briefly between sessions to enable cleaning plus at the end of the day 9.30pm onwards.
We ask you to take responsibility for your own cleanliness, including hand washing / sanitising, cleaning of equipment with wipes between sessions.
• What is your capacity?
Our capacity is based on the guidance from the Scottish government, Climb Scotland and the Association of British Climbing Walls. The capacity is based on 9msq per person, we are however reducing our capacity from that to allow what we feel is a safe environment for our customers and staff.
Signs indicating capacity for areas of the centre will be displayed.
• How do you monitor capacity?
We have the booking system for sessions to limit our capacity through timed sessions.
• Can I still just turn up to climb at any time?
No, currently we are offering a bookings only system, this may change as time goes on, please follow our social media and website for updated info.
• Can I bring my kids or guests to climb?
Yes kids 7+yrs or adult novices can be supervised by experienced climbers.
For kids you will need to add them to your registration when asked who is climbing.
For adult novices they will have to complete a Novice Registration on the website and name you as their supervising adult.
• My Membership was frozen – do I need to do anything?
All frozen passes will be unfrozen on your first session date or end of September, which ever is the earlier.
• I had a child booked into kids club; when will these resume?
TBC – We do not yet have a date, we will be in contact as soon as we have this confirmed. This is likely to be after the October break.
• Are there quieter times of day?
Week day evening sessions will always be busier, afternoon weekday sessions will be quieter, weekends are more spread out, due to our reduced capacity we will not be as busy as you might expect.
• Are toilets and changing rooms open as normal?
We are asking you to arrive climb ready and not to use the changing facilities if possible, though facilities are still available. Showers currently are not available.
• Can I still use chalk?
Yes, we would encourage you to use liquid chalk as it has a high alcohol content and could help towards hand sanitising between regular washing and hand gel use. This will also help cut down on dust and cleaning.
- Will the centre be well ventilated?
Where possible we will open doors to allow fresh air to circulate.
We have installed a new ventilation system in the bouldering room and this will be in operation.
• When will novices and guests be able to visit the centre?
They can from 7+yrs if supervised by a competent adult.
• When will classes / coaching starting up again?
TBC – We are working on our systems for these sessions and will make an announcement as soon as possible.
• Can I still buy food and hot / cold drinks?
Yes, Our usual service will operate with a few exceptions.
Hot drinks will be provided in compostable cups.
We cannot fill water bottles so please bring your own or purchase a bottle on arrival.
• Lost property?
Our usual system will operate with the addition of a 72hr quarantine period.
• Can external instructors/coaches bring groups?
Not yet – we are starting by opening for experienced climbers only, novices and those needing supervision cannot climb. Please contact us first if you are interested in bringing a group.
• Do you have a system in place to assist with ‘Test and Protect’?
Our database has a track and trace system and we will provide info for that purpose, if required.
By agreeing to climb / boulder you are agreeing for your details to be used for the purpose of track & trace.
If you have any unanswered question please get in contact; email@example.com